2021 Ocean to City - Five Miles From Home
We are delighted to announce that Cork Harbour Festival’s flagship Ocean to City race will be going ahead this June with an altered format.
Collaborating with national rowing associations in Scotland and Wales, this year’s Ocean to City will be part of a unique, international time trial series called the Five Miles From Home Series 2021.
The Ocean to City – Five Miles From Home is the second leg in the Series, and will take place 4-6 June 2021. The challenge can be joined from anywhere in the world; rather than asking participants to travel, Ocean to City invites people to participate in this international challenge from their home waters.
Ocean to City – An Rás Mór is Ireland’s very own long-distance rowing race attracting hundreds of participants annually. Started in 2005, it has grown from its origin as a race for traditional fixed-seat boats into an all-inclusive rowing and paddling event, embracing everything from traditional wooden working boats, currachs, skiffs, gigs and longboats to contemporary ocean racing shells, kayaks, canoes and even stand-up paddle boards.
Invitation: Ocean to City - 5 June 2021
Welcome to Cork Harbour
Ocean to City Acrylic Stop Motion -
Created by Andrew King for Meitheal Mara
Here’s what our participants have to say about Ocean to City!
- Exmouth Rowing Club, UKJune 2016''The first time for Exmouth Rowing Club to this event. Absolutely loved it. The organisation, charm, helpfulness and overall welcome and camaraderie displayed were a credit to all. Competitive, friendly, fun, challenging and extremely enjoyable. A magnificent event which should be a model for organisers everywhere.''
- Skerries Rowing ClubJune 2016''What a fantastic weekend in Cork. Great event loved every minute of it. Very proud to collect Boat Build of the Day Award with Skerries Rowing Club. Looking forward to 2017 already!''
- Dalkey Rowing ClubJune 2015''We had a fabulous weekend and found the famous Cork hospitality all it cracks up to be.''
- Purple Cutter Partnership 2019"What a great event, you have to be the friendliest bunch of race organisers and I am in awe of the smooth operation of start, finishing and recovery that you facilitate. We were also amazed that you managed to turn the rain on Saturday morning off and bring on the sunshine for the race itself. Perfect conditions, thank you for that"!
- Dundrum Coastal Rowing 2019"On behalf of Dundrum Coastal Rowing Club I would like to send our thanks to you and your team for a well organised and highly enjoyable event which you obviously put so much work into at the weekend". Winners Ocean Crew and Ist St Ayles Skiff
- Fiona - Ocean to City 2019"The race was , as always, a credit to Meitheal Mara and everyone involved".
- Strangford Coastal Rowing 2019"Just a word of thanks to you and all the team for organising and running an excellent event. All the crew from Strangford had a ball"!
- Myross Rowing ClubFebruary 2015''The organization is first class, very helpful in every way. Previous rowers from the Club have said it's a challenge and are looking forward to taking part again this year. For the sea-loving its a "must do."
- The AHOY Centre 2019"What an AMAZING experience we, Arthur’s Crew, have had this weekend.Our first experience of Ocean to City and certainly won’t be the last. A massive ‘thank you’ for all your support and assistance from you guys at the coal face to the safety support. Everyone! Here’s to next year".
- Kildysart Currach ClubJune 2016''We had a fantastic time and are already looking forward to next year''
- Catherine - Ocean to City Participant 2019"The event was amazing and I hope to be there again next year. I stayed down for the week and enjoyed so much of the festivities. The event is amazing you guys do such a super job".
- Peter Coreless - Ocean to City 2019"I would like to thank you on behalf of my children and grandchildren for the wonderful hospitality and organisation of the whole event. We had an incredible time".
Recent Journal Articles
Update from the #5milesfromhome organisers – April 19th 2021 As we get closer to the first leg of the #5milesfromhome…
Cork City Council, Cork County Council and the Port of Cork are delighted to announce that Cork Harbour Festival’s flagship…
Hello rowers, paddlers, supporters, friends – Who knew, 12 months ago, when we opened the 2020 Ocean to City registration…