Ocean to City – An Rás Mór is Ireland’s very own long-distance rowing race attracting hundreds of participants annually. Started in 2005, it has grown from its origin as a race for traditional fixed-seat boats into an all-inclusive rowing and paddling event, embracing everything from traditional wooden working boats, currachs, skiffs, gigs and longboats to contemporary ocean racing shells, kayaks, canoes and even stand-up paddle boards.
**Announcement January 2021**
Hello rowers, paddlers, supporters, friends –
Who knew, 12 months ago, when we opened the 2020 Ocean to City registration system, how different everything would turn out? Countless cancelled meetings, races, festival events, projects and three lockdowns later – here we are. Goodness, it’s been a really challenging year!
And while there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel, there is still much uncertainty in terms of what the next few months will bring.
As such, we’ve been scoping out different possibilities that will enable the delivery of our 2021 Ocean to City race; in either a virtual, hybrid or physical format. For now, we’d like to let you know that we are postponing the opening of entries until later in February and will update everyone then.
We are working on some exciting plans and one thing is for sure – we’re putting on a show and will have you rowing or paddling this June!
Many thanks for your patience in the meantime.
Stay safe and stay healthy.
Joya & the Ocean to City team in Meitheal Mara
Invitation: Ocean to City - 5 June 2021
Welcome to Cork Harbour
Ocean to City Acrylic Stop Motion -
Created by Andrew King for Meitheal Mara
Here’s what our participants have to say about Ocean to City!
- Purple Cutter Partnership 2019"What a great event, you have to be the friendliest bunch of race organisers and I am in awe of the smooth operation of start, finishing and recovery that you facilitate. We were also amazed that you managed to turn the rain on Saturday morning off and bring on the sunshine for the race itself. Perfect conditions, thank you for that"!
- Catherine - Ocean to City Participant 2019"The event was amazing and I hope to be there again next year. I stayed down for the week and enjoyed so much of the festivities. The event is amazing you guys do such a super job".
- Dalkey Rowing ClubJune 2015''We had a fabulous weekend and found the famous Cork hospitality all it cracks up to be.''
- Strangford Coastal Rowing 2019"Just a word of thanks to you and all the team for organising and running an excellent event. All the crew from Strangford had a ball"!
- Kildysart Currach ClubJune 2016''We had a fantastic time and are already looking forward to next year''
- Skerries Rowing ClubJune 2016''What a fantastic weekend in Cork. Great event loved every minute of it. Very proud to collect Boat Build of the Day Award with Skerries Rowing Club. Looking forward to 2017 already!''
- Peter Coreless - Ocean to City 2019"I would like to thank you on behalf of my children and grandchildren for the wonderful hospitality and organisation of the whole event. We had an incredible time".
- The AHOY Centre 2019"What an AMAZING experience we, Arthur’s Crew, have had this weekend.Our first experience of Ocean to City and certainly won’t be the last. A massive ‘thank you’ for all your support and assistance from you guys at the coal face to the safety support. Everyone! Here’s to next year".
- Myross Rowing ClubFebruary 2015''The organization is first class, very helpful in every way. Previous rowers from the Club have said it's a challenge and are looking forward to taking part again this year. For the sea-loving its a "must do."
- Fiona - Ocean to City 2019"The race was , as always, a credit to Meitheal Mara and everyone involved".
- Exmouth Rowing Club, UKJune 2016''The first time for Exmouth Rowing Club to this event. Absolutely loved it. The organisation, charm, helpfulness and overall welcome and camaraderie displayed were a credit to all. Competitive, friendly, fun, challenging and extremely enjoyable. A magnificent event which should be a model for organisers everywhere.''
- Dundrum Coastal Rowing 2019"On behalf of Dundrum Coastal Rowing Club I would like to send our thanks to you and your team for a well organised and highly enjoyable event which you obviously put so much work into at the weekend". Winners Ocean Crew and Ist St Ayles Skiff
Recent Journal Articles
In light of the rapidly evolving situation and public health measures related to Covid-19, it is with great disappointment the…
We’re delighted to announce…
Invitation Ocean to City…