Community Maritime Event Coordinator (Maternity Leave Cover)
Ocean to City & Cork Harbour Festival
Meitheal Mara, Cork’s community boatyard and maritime training centre, is looking for an experienced temporary event manager for the annual Ocean to City race and Cork Harbour Festival. The position will be on a fixed-term, temporary basis to provide maternity leave cover.
The work entails organising and coordinating the annual Ocean to City – An Rás Mór and associated Cork Harbour Festival in Cork city and harbour from 2nd-10th June 2018.
The event was begun in 2005 as a community celebration of traditional rowing boats and Cork Harbour. It has expanded and evolved into a 9 day harbour-wide festival supported by Cork City Council, Cork County Council, the Port of Cork and Fáilte Ireland. It serves as an important expression of the work that Meitheal Mara does and of the local maritime traditions of Ireland.
The successful candidate will have strong event management experience coupled with experience in managing and co-ordinating a mixed team of staff and volunteers in a community setting.
- Work with the Ocean to City Director, the Race Operations Task Group (who are volunteers) and the General Manager of Meitheal Mara to ensure the delivery, operation and sustainability of Ocean to City and Cork Harbour Festival.
- Maintain and develop relationships with existing funders.
- Work collaboratively with existing event partners to promote and manage the event; identify new partners and build relationships.
- Line management of the Event Administrator and the Marketing and Communications Officer of Cork Harbour Festival.
- Budget management, assist with forecasting and ensure that sponsorship and event activity falls within spending targets.
- Monitor and analyse the effectiveness of the event.
- Prepare post-event reports for the Meitheal Mara Board and funders.
- Provide assistance for the work of Meitheal Mara as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience working in event management, ideally in the community and voluntary sector.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Excellent IT and social media skills.
- A third-level qualification.
- Experience and understanding of maritime events and the sea.
- Problem resolution skills and ability to deal with the unexpected.
- Ability to work well under pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability and flexibility to work overtime and alternate shifts as job needs require.
- Experience of budget management and meeting income targets.
- Experience of meeting the requirements of funders.
- Hands-on team leadership skills with line management experience.
- Be highly motivated by the community development ethos of Meitheal Mara.
- Ability and flexibility to perform all other job-related and ad-hoc duties as required.
Applications enclosing a CV and cover letter should be sent to: Cathy Buchanan, General Manager, Meitheal Mara, Crosses Green House, Crosses Green, Cork or by email to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 5pm on Wednesday 17th of January 2018.
Interviews for those successfully shortlisted are provisionally scheduled for the week starting Monday 5th of February. Start date is Monday 5th of March.