International Five Miles From Home Series 2021
- 7-9 May Castle to Crane leg (Scotland)
- 4-6 June Ocean to City leg (Ireland)
- 9-11 July Welsh Sea Rowing leg (Wales)
Looking for three great reasons to get out on the water?
We’re pleased to announce that Castle to Crane in Scotland, Ocean to City in Ireland and Welsh Sea Rowing in Wales have joined up to bring you a unique, international, time trial series this summer: the Five Miles From Home Series 2021.
Rather than asking you to travel, we invite you -wherever in the world you may be- to take part in this international challenge by joining us from your home waters. Taking part is simple! Just form a crew, plot a course, cover the 5 miles (8047meters / 4.345nm) as fast or as stylishly as you can during the designated time windows, submit your times to us and join the online hooley.
The Five Miles From Home Series has a ‘Main’ and an ‘Alternative’ Challenge. The Main Challenge is open to any fixed-seat rowing boat and we hope that all major classes will be represented. The Alternative Challenge is open to kayaks, SUPs, canoes, dragon boats, offshore sliding-seats boats and outriggers. Incorporating a dedicated Under-19s youth category, we are also keen to involve and celebrate young people on the water.
Participants can take part in the whole series, allowing them to compare and improve on their results as they progress, or just in one single leg. Each leg in the series has a 48-hour window during which the challenge has to be completed. We are happy for the same boat to be used by more than one crew, and participants can compete in more than one crew, allowing clubs to organise their own Five Miles From Home micro-events.
Not only will the Five Miles From Home format encourage you get you back training and competing on the water, you will be part of a big international challenge connecting boating communities from across the world. Welcoming a variety of people-powered, sea-going craft, we are aiming for the event to be as inclusive, adaptable and enjoyable as possible!
Entries will open on the 1st of March 2021 through the Active event registration system and participation costs €10 per boat per leg, or €20 for all three legs. For kayaks and SUPs it is €5 for one leg, or €10 for all three.
We encourage you to enter the Five Miles From Home series with optimism and confidence. If, for whatever reason, you find your crew unable to complete the course on the water together, you can transfer your entry to our ‘Land Challenge’ and walk, wheel or run the 5 miles.
- 7-9 May 2021, Castle to Crane leg (Scotland)
- 4-6 June 2021: Ocean to City (Ireland)
- 9-11 July 2021, Welsh Sea Rowing leg (Wales)
- 5 Miles / 8047 meters / 4.345nm
- Main Challenge: for fixed-seat rowing boats
- Alternative Challenge: for kayaks, SUPs, canoes, dragon boats, offshore sliding-seats and outrigger boats
- Land Challenge: for those unable to get afloat due to restrictions, we invite you to walk, wheel or run.
- Price per Boat: €10 for one leg / €20 for all three
- Price per Kayak, SUP, canoes or land challenge: €5 for one leg / €10 for all three
- Every participant will receive a soft copy Certificate of Participation.
- In the Main Challenge, the premier award for each leg will be a ‘Median Trophy’ which is awarded at the discretion of the organisers to the crew finishing in the middle of the fleet. That crew accepts the trophy as representatives of the whole fleet. Our event really is one where being part of the whole experience is much more important than where you finish.
- In both the Main and Alternative Challenge, there will be special recognition for winners in the various boat type, gender, age categories.
- For the overall Series, there will be the Median Trophy, some Class Association Prizes and a small number of Special Awards. For full details see the Rules of Racing.
- A Five Miles From Home Series buff / snood will be available for €10 incl. national/international postage
- An Ocean to City – Five Miles From Home T-shirt will be available for €20 incl. national/international postage.
- The Five Miles From Home Series is organised by Castle to Crane (Scotland), Ocean to City (Ireland) and Welsh Sea Rowing (Wales)
Registration – IMPORTANT:
- Entries open on the 1st of March 2021
- Every boat has to be entered by a member of its own crew.
- One entry per email address only. If a second entry is registered on the same email address the system will override the first entry.
- As the registration system is set up from Ireland, entry will be charged in €
- A 7% Administration Fee is applied by the Active registration system
- Due to the large number of participants involved, late entries will not be facilitated.
- Registration deadlines:
- Full Series / Castle to Crane leg: Midnight GMT, Saturday 1 May
- Ocean to City leg: Midnight GMT, Saturday 29 May
- Welsh Sea Rowing leg: Midnight GMT, Saturday 3 July