5 Miles From Home, 20-24 April 2022
Following on from the success of the international 5 Miles From Home Series organised last year by Castle to Crane, Ocean to City and Welsh Sea Rowing, we have decided to launch again for 2022.
As everyone is now back on the water -long may it continue- 5 Miles From Home will be held as a one-off event rather than the series format used for 2021. All boats that enter will be able to complete their challenge between 20-24 April, giving every crew enough time to take part.
Just like last year, most types of human powered coastal craft are eligible to enter and we’ll use the same handicap system to give everyone an equal chance of winning. Land based options remain available for those who cannot go afloat.
The challenge can be joined from anywhere in the world, with participants completing the 5 mile course from their home waters. Registration will be open between 16 March – 13 April entry is £10 per boat and £5 per kayak/SUP.
Join our #5milesfromhome mailing list and we’ll let you know as soon as registration opens: http://eepurl.com/hUo9n5
The organisers of 5 Miles From Home would like to thank everyone for their support last year – we hope that this event will be just as popular. And of course don’t forget to take a photo tagging #5milesfromhome
Castle to Crane, Ocean to City & Welsh Sea Rowing
Our new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow 5 Miles From Home on:
The 5 Miles From Home event has a ‘Main’ and an ‘Alternative’ Challenge. The Main Challenge is open to any fixed-seat rowing boat and we hope that all major classes will be represented. The Alternative Challenge is open to kayaks, SUPs, canoes, dragon boats, offshore sliding-seats boats and outriggers. Incorporating a dedicated Under-19s youth category, we are also keen to involve and celebrate young people on the water.
This year, the event has a has a 96-hour window during which the challenge has to be completed. We are happy for the same boat to be used by more than one crew, and participants can compete in more than one crew, allowing clubs to organise their own 5 Miles From Home micro-events.
Not only will the Five Miles From Home format encourage you get you back training and competing on the water, you will be part of a big international challenge connecting boating communities from across the world. Welcoming a variety of people-powered, sea-going craft, we are aiming for the event to be as inclusive, adaptable and enjoyable as possible!
Entries will open on 16 March 2022 through the Active event registration system and participation costs £10 per boat and £5 per kayak/SUP.
We encourage you to enter 5 Miles From Home with optimism and confidence. If, for whatever reason, you find your crew unable to complete the course on the water together, you can transfer your entry to our ‘Land Challenge’ and walk, wheel or run the 5 miles.
- 20-24 April 2022
- 1500 BST (GMT +1) on the Wednesday to 1500 BST (GMT+1) on the Sunday
- Results need to be submitted by 1500 BST (GMT+1) on the Sunday
- 5 Miles / 8047 meters / 4.345nm
- Main Challenge: for fixed-seat rowing boats
- Alternative Challenge: for kayaks, SUPs, canoes, dragon boats, offshore sliding-seats and outrigger boats
- Land Challenge: for those unable to get afloat due to restrictions, we invite you to walk, wheel or run.
- Price per Boat: £10 e
- Price per Kayak, SUP, canoe or land challenge: £5
- In the Main Challenge, the premier award for each leg will be a ‘Median Trophy’ which is awarded at the discretion of the organisers to the crew finishing in the middle of the fleet. That crew accepts the trophy as representatives of the whole fleet. Our event really is one where being part of the whole experience is much more important than where you finish.
- In both the Main and Alternative Challenge, other prizes will be awarded at the discretion of the race organisers.
- The Five Miles From Home Series is organised by Castle to Crane (Scotland), Ocean to City (Ireland) and Welsh Sea Rowing (Wales)
Registration – IMPORTANT:
- Entries open on the 16 March 2022
- Every boat has to be entered by a member of its own crew.
- One entry per email address only. If a second entry is registered on the same email address the system will override the first entry.
- As the registration system will be set up from Scotland, entry will be charged in £
- A 7% Administration Fee is applied by the Active registration system
- Due to the large number of participants involved, late entries will not be facilitated.
- Registration deadline: midnight BST (GMT+1) 13 April 2022