Ocean to City – An Rás Mór, 8 June 2024, Cork Harbour
Ocean to City – An Rás Mór is Ireland’s very own long-distance rowing race attracting hundreds of participants annually. Started in 2005, it has grown from its origin as a race for traditional fixed-seat boats into an all-inclusive rowing and paddling event, embracing everything from traditional wooden working boats, currachs, skiffs, gigs and longboats to contemporary ocean racing shells, kayaks, canoes and even stand-up paddle boards.
Next year’s race takes place on Saturday 8th of June 2024 in Cork Harbour, Ireland. Sign up to our mailing list below to get all the updates for 2024.
Ocean to City - 3 June 2023
Ocean to City - 4 June 2022
Welcome to Cork Harbour
Created by Andrew King for Meitheal Mara
Here’s what our participants have to say about Ocean to City!
- Fiona - Ocean to City ParticipantJune 2019"The race was , as always, a credit to Meitheal Mara and everyone involved".
- Skerries Rowing ClubJune 2016''What a fantastic weekend in Cork. Great event loved every minute of it. Very proud to collect Boat Build of the Day Award with Skerries Rowing Club. Looking forward to 2017 already!''
- Exmouth Rowing Club, UKJune 2016''The first time for Exmouth Rowing Club to this event. Absolutely loved it. The organisation, charm, helpfulness and overall welcome and camaraderie displayed were a credit to all. Competitive, friendly, fun, challenging and extremely enjoyable. A magnificent event which should be a model for organisers everywhere.''
- Salcombe Gig ClubJune 2023"Salcombe gig club are already talking about next year event because of the great weekend we had and very good result."
- Dundrum Coastal RowingJune 2019"On behalf of Dundrum Coastal Rowing Club I would like to send our thanks to you and your team for a well organised and highly enjoyable event which you obviously put so much work into at the weekend". Winners Ocean Crew and Ist St Ayles Skiff
- Strangford Coastal Rowing ClubJune 2023"It’s hard to believe a week has passed since your wonderfully successful Ocean to City 2023. On behalf of the ladies crew from The Strangford Coastal Rowing Club in Co Down thank you for all your hard work and efficiency in giving us such a fantastic day on the water. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We know that an event on this scale must depend on many folk and organisations working together. Please forward these thanks to the host Club and all the other contributors. Every best wish for the next one!"
- Peter Coreless - Ocean to City ParticipantJune 2019"I would like to thank you on behalf of my children and grandchildren for the wonderful hospitality and organisation of the whole event. We had an incredible time".
- Strangford Coastal Rowing ClubJune 2019"Just a word of thanks to you and all the team for organising and running an excellent event. All the crew from Strangford had a ball"!
- Purple Cutter PartnershipJune 2019"What a great event, you have to be the friendliest bunch of race organisers and I am in awe of the smooth operation of start, finishing and recovery that you facilitate. We were also amazed that you managed to turn the rain on Saturday morning off and bring on the sunshine for the race itself. Perfect conditions, thank you for that"!
- The AHOY CentreJune 2019"What an AMAZING experience we, Arthur’s Crew, have had this weekend. Our first experience of Ocean to City and certainly won’t be the last. A massive ‘thank you’ for all your support and assistance from you guys at the coal face to the safety support. Everyone! Here’s to next year".
- Kildysart Currach ClubJune 2016''We had a fantastic time and are already looking forward to next year''
- Lisa - Ocean to City participantJune 2023"I'm a novice currach rower and was attending Ocean to City for the first time. We did the city course. It was a marvellous event, so well run and enjoyable. If I possibly can I'll be back next to try the ocean course. If you possibly can, will make the sun shine like it did this year?"
Recent Journal Articles
Be part of the fastest growing festival in Cork and the largest annual event in Cork Harbour! Join the team…
Hello everyone my name is Catherina Lane and I’m the newly appointed Maritime Events Manager in Meitheal Mara. I’ll be…
Join the team and gain experience in office administration, event production and marketing while helping us organise Cork Harbour’s largest…